This Event is Hosted by the CVTC Dental Hygiene Club
Available to all dental team members.
CHIPPEWA VALLEY TECHNICAL COLLEGE
615 W. CLAIREMONT AVENUE ROOM HEC 117
Tuesday, May 16 5:30-8:30
Registration, Light Meal and a DH update 5:30-6:30
Understanding Oral Cancer (2CEU)
Speaker: Corinne Jameson-Kuehl RDH, BS, OMT
Special Guest: Barb Hoffman-Oral Cancer Survivor
One person every hour dies from the disease of Oral Cancer. Due to a high instance of late stage detection; less than 50% of those diagnosed will only survive 5 years. The incidence of HPV-related oropharyngeal cancer in a “non-typical” Oral Cancer patient is on the rise; growing to an astounding 70-90% of oropharyngeal cancers being linked to the HPV infection.
Dental professionals are in a unique situation where it is imperative to educate ourselves with the evidence-based Oral Cancer risk factors and HPV prevention education measures. We need better understanding and confidence during our intra and extra oral head and neck examinations; and communication with patients.
Upon completion of this course the learner will be able to:
1. Identify patient risk factors associated with Head, Neck and Oral Cancers.
2. Recognize oral abnormalities.
3. Implement a protocol for Head, Neck and Oral Cancer routine examinations.
4. Confidently communicate HPV risk and carcinogenic habit prevention with patients in health history interview.
5. Understand legal responsibility
RSVP to: [email protected] by May 14
$25-pay at the door